Gilbert Gerard's House

Historic Photograph
This item is active and ready to use
Gilbert Gerard's House
Gilbert Gerard's House
Gilbert Gerard's House
Gilbert Gerard's House 1787 in the Gallowgate. This photograph was taken just prior to demolition in c.1905. This building in the Gallowgate was bought by the managers of the Poors Hospital in the early 1800's as a home for the maintenance and education of orphan boys or boys of very poor parents, and was known as the Boys Hospital. In 1828, it was realised that there was a need for a similar home for girls. The managers decided to acquire another property in the Upperkirkgate to which the boys were transferred and this building became the Girls Hospital in 1829. The girls, aged 6-14 years, were instructed in the 3R's as well as sewing, knitting and household work, for the purpose of finding them positions in service. In 1871, a new building was erected in King Street, when the boys and girls hospital was place under one roof. This building in the Gallowgate was demolished in 1905 as part of the re-development of the area.
Record Number
770
Title
Gilbert Gerard's House
Location
Aberdeen City Centre
Keyword
Buildings, Homes and Mansions
Image Reference
B33_02
Collection
Aberdeen Local Studies

Subjects

Purchase options

Required information
Media options