St. Nicholas Church and Churchyard

Historic Photograph
This item is active and ready to use
St. Nicholas Church and Churchyard
St. Nicholas Church and Churchyard
St. Nicholas Church and Churchyard
St. Nicholas Kirk and graveyard, showing the new spire after the 1874 fire, which destroyed the ancient tower and steeple of the East Kirk. William Smith, son of John Smith, rebuilt both chancel and crossing between 1875 and 1877. When the present granite steeple was built, a carillon of 37 new bells was installed, cast by Van Aerschodt of Louvain, in Belgium. A further 11 bells were added in 1954, making a total of 48 bells - the largest carillon in Great Britain. St. Nicholas Church West, shown here, was built between 1751 and 1755. Designed by James Gibb, it is a classic example of an 18th century preaching kirk. Building took 4 years and it opened for public worship on 9th November 1755. St. Nicholas Kirkyard is a popular place for family historians, with its many table tombs and monuments. Amongst the famous local names are Archibald Simpson, architect, John Anderson, Wizard of the North, and William Dyce, the painter.
Record Number
374
Title
St. Nicholas Church and Churchyard
Location
Aberdeen City Centre
Keyword
Churches
Image Reference
D31_03
Collection
Aberdeen Local Studies

Subjects

Purchase options

Required information
Media options