Old Grammar School

Historic Photograph
This item is active and ready to use
Old Grammar School
Old Grammar School
Old Grammar School
This rather plain building which stood in Schoolhill was the old Grammar School. It was closed as a school in 1863, when the new school in Skene Street was opened. The building was demolished c.1882/3. The Grammar School seems to date back to the 13th century with successive buildings on this site. Pupils were taught Latin, Greek and English grammar with the aim of preparing them for entry to university. One of the most famous pupils here was Lord Byron, who attended from the age of 7 in 1795 for 4 years. The site was later occupied partly by The Robert Gordon University buildings.
Record Number
125
Title
Old Grammar School
Location
Aberdeen City Centre
Keyword
Buildings, Schools
Image Reference
A42_11
Collection
Aberdeen Local Studies

Subjects

Purchase options

Required information
Media options