A photograph of the exterior of the Gordon Cafe at 143-145 King Street. This image is thought to date from the 1950s.
The Gordon Cafe was a popular café, snack bar and takeaway located on the west side of King Street from its opening in 1950 until its closure in 2007. It was a familiar and well-used stopping place for workers, shoppers, local residents and families.
The café was known for dishes such as pies, breakfast rolls, cooked breafasts, egg, chips and beans, knickerbocker glories and for serving teas and coffees. It has also been suggested that its butteries, which were made on site, were the best in Aberdeen.
In this image, advertisements can be seen for Stillade, a soft drink, and Capstan cigarettes.
Above the door, W. Clubb is listed as the proprietor. This was master baker William Ogilvie Clubb (1915-1969), the founder of the café.
Born in Mintlaw, Clubb moved to Aberdeen aged 8 and became a partner in the former Queen Street bakery, Eddie and Clubb, in 1937.
The King Street venue was previously called the Palm Cafe. Clubb changed the name to reflect the Gordon Highlanders Club, located next door, whose members frequented the café.
The café's original green decoration was to match the tartan of the Gordon Highlanders. The venue later had a yellow and white exterior colour scheme.
In 2003, the King Street establishment won a competition organised by Europcar to find the best café in Scotland (Evening Express, 25/01/2003, p. 15).
At the time of the award, the Gordon Cafe was run by Billy Clubb, son of William, and his wife Norma. Billy's son Michael worked as a baker in the firm's kitchen.
Billy took over the business from his father in 1961 aged 21. William and his wife Winnie continued to work in the café.
The popular venue on King Street closed for the final time in 2007 (Evening Express, 29/05/2007, p. 27). At the time it was owned and operated by Michael Clubb, who had taken over the business about 4 years prior.
The newspaper article reporting the closure highlighted some of the café's long-serving staff. Audrey Emslie, of Bridge of Don, a kitchen worker and waitress, had worked at the Gordon Cafe for 27 years - since leaving school.
The longest serving member of staff was Mary Davidson, who had worked at the Gordon Cafe for 40 years, and planned to retire when it closed.
Following the closure of the business, the King Street premises were soon occupied by Lahore Karahi, a Pakistani cuisine restaurant and takeaway, which remains a popular establishment at the time of writing in August 2026.
A digital copy of this photograph was kindly donated to Aberdeen City Libraries by a member of staff. A member of the family, he was born in the flat above the café.