|
Quick Search
|
Search Results
You searched for: More Like: 'Spotless the difference'
8 items
items as
Robert Yule, Grocer and Spirit Dealer
1094 By the 1840s Woodside was a thriving village and as such had a good selection of local services and shops which provided the locals with all they needed.
This photograph, possibly taken when it opened, shows Robert Yule's grocer and spirit dealer shop at 429 Great Northern Road in Woodside, a north-west suburb of Aberdeen, amalgamated into the City in 1891. The proprietor's home is next door at No. 427. Yule's shop was here from 1922 to 1972. It can be seen how the right half of the ground floor of the building has been converted into the shop. The 2 shop assistants stand proudly outside in their spotless white aprons. Shops such as this were the hub of local communities before the age of the supermarket. The Development of Marischal Square and Broad Street (23/08/2015-20/04/2018): 7
3057 A wide angle shot of lift shafts on the NE corner of the site taken from the top of Upperkirkgate. It exaggerates a bit the difference in size between the lift shafts and Provost's Skene's House, just visible in the bottom right hand corner. A scaffolding clad Town House spire, similarly, just visible in the bottom left corner. 01/11/2015 Treasure 25: Alexander Ogg, Land Surveyor: Inverurie, Aberdeen and New Zealand
196 November 27th 2015 marks the 150th anniversary of the death of the land surveyor Alexander Ogg. Local historian, and Central Library user, Dr Douglas Lockhart made the excellent suggestion that we celebrate this anniversary by displaying Ogg's rare Map of New and Old Aberdeen (1855) as a treasure for November.
The tremendous level of detail; annotation of residential and business occupants and the inclusion of various proposed city developments, make the map a particularly interesting historical item.
This version of the map was corrected to 1855 and published by J. Gellatly, 26 George Street, Edinburgh.
There is a brief description of the map in the bottom right of the sheet that reads:
"This map, continued from the Original Survey made in 1809, by John Smith Architect; has been revised and corrected to 1848, by Alexr. Ogg Land Surveyor; the Railways and Approaches by Alexr. Gibb, C.E. and the Harbour Improvements by James Abernethy, Harbour Engineer."
The National Library of Scotland hold a version of the map corrected to 1847 and published by D. Wyllie & Son, 111 Union Street, Aberdeen. It features a similar description to the one above, the only difference being it states it is corrected by Ogg to 1847.
There are visible differences between the two versions, particularly around the railway areas. How much these amendments are due to Ogg in 1848 or a later cartographer is unclear. |