|
Quick Search
|
Search Results
You searched for: More Like: 'North-east house prices soar in a decade'
49 items
items as
3 Mackie Place
42 This photograph shows No. 3 Mackie Place, Aberdeen, in around 1870.
The street was named after Robert Mackie, a skinner who was Convener of the Incorporated Trades.
At No. 6 Mackie Place there was a haunted house known as the 'The Castle' or 'The White House'. It was located to the south west of Nos. 4 and 5 next to the Denburn. It was the home of the Forbes family who printed the Castle Spectre magazine.
No. 6 Mackie Place was in time demolished to make way for Esslemont Avenue. Due to the demolition, the Forbes family moved across the Denburn to the property off Skene Street known as 'the Galleries' in around 1882. It stood in the ground to the rear of No. 1 Mackie Place and has also subsequently been demolished.
No. 3 Mackie Place is located to the east of Nos. 4 and 5, on the north side of the Denburn, and still stands today. Shuttle Lane prior to slum clearance
193 This 1930s photograph shows the Shuttle Lane slum clearance area situated between East North Street and Frederick Street, before the families were rehoused on new estates.
These houses were typical of the cramped, overcrowded tenements to be found in most Scottish cities. Large families would be crammed into 1 or 2 rooms. There might have been a shared toilet on the landings or more commonly outside in the back yard.
Infectious diseases such as diptheria and scarlet fever could be spread rapidly with such close contact of families, and infant mortality was high. There was often no drying green so many tenements had iron washing poles which could be slid out of windows when needed. Each family would have their allocated day to use the wash house.
Washing clothes was a laborious affair as the mother, maybe with the assistance of an older daughter, would stoke and light the boiler, and trek back and forth with water from an outside tap. Washing would be done by hand and if the weather was bad, then it would have to be hung inside in the kitchen to dry in the heat of the coal fire.
However, it seemed that community spirit was warm and close neighbours helped each other in times of crisis. This was a bond that would be broken when families were rehoused in the modern housing estates. Postcard of ruins of Huntly Castle
288 Located on the outskirts of Huntly, the castle stands on the south bank of the River Deveron. The castle dates from the late 12th century with a Norman Motte and Bailey , a medieval L-Plan tower house and defence earthworks of the Civil War nearby. The castle was the home of the Gordons, a powerful Catholic family who once ruled over much of the North-East. The main structure was begun by Lord Gordon in 1452, being built in the new 'Palace' style. The castle was not completed in its final form until 1597/1606. In 1650 it was visited briefly by Charles ll, on his way to Worcester, defeat and exile. After the Civil War, the castle fell into disuse and the Dukes of Gordon moved to Fochabers. Much of the impressive ruin still remains including the fine heraldic doorway. The castle is now the property of Historic Scotland, and is open to the public. Old bed of River Dee
314 This photograph looks east from the field below Devanha House, roughly where the street Devanha Gardens East stands today, towards the River Dee and Torry beyond. The image shows the old river bed prior to its diversion in 1869.
Prospect Terrace can be seen at the end of the field and beyond this lane are buildings of the Devanha Brewery and some nearby houses. The archways that can be seen on the left are part of the viaduct for the Caledonian Railway heading north towards the nearby Guild Street stations.
The open archway is likely where Wellington Road, now South College Street, passes under the railway. Much of this viaduct can still be seen today and remains how trains reach the city centre from the south. Tolbooth of Aberdeen
485 A lithograph print of a drawing by James Skene of Rubislaw (1775-1864). The illustration depicts the Mercat Cross and Tolbooth in the centre of Aberdeen in around 1800.
James Skene was a lawyer, amateur artist, and a notable friend of Walter Scott. A short article from the Aberdeen Daily Journal of 23rd February 1912, page 9, indicates that this image was made to illustrate an edition of The History of the troubles and memorable transactions in England and Scotland, from M.DC.XXIV TO M.DC.XLV by John Spalding that was published by the Bannatyne Club in 1829.
An engraved version of this image can be found facing page 9 in volume 2 of the abovementioned publication. Titled 'Tolbooth of Aberdeen', James Skene is given as the illustrator and William Penny as the engraver.
Walter Scott was the founder of the Bannatyne Club, a text publication society, and James Skene was a member. The club's two volume edition of Spalding's history, drawn from three manuscript copies, was published under Skene's superintendence.
John Spalding was a 17th century Aberdeen historian and clerk. His Memorialls of the trubles in Scotland and in England, ad 1624 - ad 1645 is of note as a detailed account of the impact of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in North-East Scotland. See David Stevenson's entry about Spalding on the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography for more information on his life and his written history.
Spalding was commemorated in the name of three Aberdeen clubs devoted to publishing historical sources; the Spalding Club, New Spalding Club, and Third Spalding Club (collectively active between 1839-1960). In 1850-51, the first of these clubs published an improved edition of Spalding's Memorialls of the Trubles.
The attributions on the version of the image shown here indicates that it was printed by Aberdeen bookseller and publisher D. Wyllie & Sons and the lithography was undertaken by Taylor & Henderson, another prominent local firm.
This image looks north east and depicts the Mercat Cross, carved by Aberdeen master mason John Montgomery and erected in 1686, in the middle distance. The market cross is likely shown in use either as shops or a post office, both purposes it historically served.
The cross was repaired in 1821 and moved to its present location, approximately 83 metres east, in 1827.
The Tolbooth, a prison, in the centre of this image was built in 1615. Much of the building, which was developed progressively over the years, is now obscured by the Peddie & Kinnear designed Town House completed in 1874. The Tolbooth was converted into a museum which opened to the public in 1995.
To the east of the Tolbooth, partially obscured by the market cross in this image, is the New Inn. This building, once the most important hostelry in Aberdeen, was demolished and replaced by the North of Scotland Bank, now the Archibald Simpson's pub, in 1840-42.
The illustration otherwise shows a busy scene on Aberdeen's Castle Street. This was a centre of civic activity and important market place for the town. In the foreground are a number of pynours (an Aberdeen term for porters), then an organised craft.
Some sense of life in the Castle Street/Castlegate area at the time, particularly of its more eccentric characters, can be found in the book The Aberdeen Worthies (1840) by William Bannerman. Seaton House
573 The house was acquired by Aberdeen City Council in 1947 and was demolished in 1963 after being destroyed by fire.
Previous owners had been the Hay family since 1849. The house was of three periods. The oldest portions in the north-west wing, dating from the mid 17th century were built by James Gordon, a baillie of Old Aberdeen in 1661, who died 1714.
The most interesting part was the south block, built of brickwork with dressed work in sandstone, the piended roof slated; the main entrance doorway in the central section under the pediment and three-light window was grand classical architecture. It was built around 1715 for Gordon's son-in-law, Colonel John Middleton, MP for the Aberdeen Burghs and the architect was possibly Middleton's friend James Gibbs.
The north-east wing was early 19th Century in date. The Harbour Mouth, Aberdeen
657 A George Washington Wilson photograph titled The Harbour Mouth, Aberdeen and numbered 505.
The image looks north east from the fields above Old Torry. Point Law, dividing the River Dee channel and the Tidal Harbour, is largely undevelopment. It looks like construction work may be going on over the water at Pocra Quay.
Correspondent Ed Fowler suggests that the large temporary looking building that can be seen across the water, past the round house on the New Quay, is of particular interest. He posits it was used to cast concrete blocks for an extension to the North Pier between 1869-77. Quaker Meeting House, Gallowgate
765 Site of Mar's Castle, Gallowgate after its demolition in 1897. The building in the background was for many years the meeting place of the Society of Friends (Quakers). They also had a burial ground in this area in the 1670s. The building was acquired by John Watt and Sons, leather merchants. The upper part had louvre windows which made it suitable for drying leather.
The two doorways that remain standing in the centre of the image were part of the tenement located just north of Mar's Castle. Above the one on the left can be seen a sign indicating that this was once the pend leading to Logan's Court. In the late 19th century the address of this tenement would have been 150 Gallowgate.
The demolition of Mar's Castle, and likely this tenement too, began in January 1897. The Town Council bought the property and ordered its demolition so that the street could be widened.
This photograph was taken at the junction with Innes Street and looks east across Gallowgate. Trinity Lane
1208 Trinity Lane, Aberdeen, c.1975, from Exchange Street.
The Trinity place-name comes from the area once being the site of a Trinitarian Friary.
The building to the right in this photograph was once known as Trinity Chapel, or Trinity Parish Church. It was opened for public worship on Sunday 27th April, 1794.
For a number of years, the chapel was an important centre of religious life and activity. The Disruption of 1843 significantly diminished the congregation. The building was subsequently sold by the Presbytery and became the Alhambra Music Hall.
See Gammie's Churches of Aberdeen (1909) for more information on the history of this congregation and building.
A large part of the exterior still stands and the building currently houses Wagley's public house. In this photograph Alex. McKay, electrical appliance showroom, is in occupation. Newspaper notices indicate that the business moved here, from 41 The Green, in 1966.
The building in the centre of the image is best known, as shown here, as a banana warehouse for Knowles & Sons, fruiterers and later as a restaurant and art gallery. It was originally built as a church for Aberdeen's Catholic Apostolic congregation.
MUSA was a restaurant and art space, with a focus on music, throughout the first two decades of the 21st century. It closed down in October 2018.
8th March 2019 saw the opening of a new bar in the building called The Hop & Anchor, specialising in craft beer. It is owned by a company called the Draft House and this is their first pub outside London. The Draft House is owned by Brewdog, the North East beer company. Westerton Farm
1474 A photograph, likely by James G. Kellas and from around 1951, showing one of either two farms known as Westerton. Both have since been demolished.
It could be the Westerton Farm that was located on the old road that preceded Provost Fraser Drive. Near where Provost Fraser Drive now meets Springhill Road, in the space between Provost Fraser and Springhill Terrace.
This Westerton Farm was demolished shortly after this photograph was taken to make way for the development of the Northfield housing estate.
Across the old road from this farm was the lands of Springhill House and Farm.
The other Westerton Farm was just to the north east of Northfield Farm and a bit south of Dancing Cairns Quarry. This farm was also previously known as Midtown.
Like Northfield Farm (demolished late 50s/early 60s), this Westerton survived the initial development of Northfield as a housing estate. Ordnance Survey maps suggest the farm made way for the construction of Marchburn Court, and the extension of Smithyhaugh Road, in the mid-to-late 1960s.
It is difficult to say for certain which farm this photograph shows. The hills in the background perhaps suggest we are looking west towards the more northernly Westerton, the one nearer Northfield Farm. Silverhillock Farm
1482 An image looking north east showing Silverhillock Farm in the 1950s.
The property, through which flowed the Gilcomston Burn, was located at the junction of Westburn Road and Foresterhill Road.
The Royal Infirmary buildings can be seen in the background. Bannermill from Broad Hill
1487 A photograph looking south west from Broad Hill towards the Bannermill (or Banner Mill) cotton works.
The road in the foreground is that which would become Links Road. This continued along the north side of the factory and had a junction with Constitution Street at the north east corner of the works. The land shown in front of Bannermill is Queen's Links.
The location of Bannermill is now occupied by a large square shaped complex of mostly early 21st century flats (completed 2004), with parking in its middle, and a main entrance, on Bannermill Place, accessed from Constitution Street.
The factory was established in 1827 by Thomas Bannerman and closed down in 1904, then under the management of Messers Robinson, Crum & Co. Limited.
The premises were used as stores and for various types of works during the 20th century.
In 1999 the 5.8 acres site was put on the market by the then owners, the North Eastern Farmers (NEF) co-operative, with a price of around £5million. NEF left the site in February 1999 to move to a new headquarters at Rosehall, Turriff. (See P&J, 11 November 1999, p. 7)
Aberdeen City Council subsequently produced a planning brief for developers calling for a housing or mixed housing and hotel development on the site.
Wimpey House submitted a plan for 349 luxury flats and this proposal was given the go-ahead. Construction primarily took place during 2002 and 2003, with the first residents moving-in in October 2002. Brae Farm
1790 This photograph was taken in 1951 by James Kellas and looks east showing, on the left, the rear of Brae Farm, located on Morningside Road, and part of 142 Morningside Avenue on the right.
There was originally a Brae Farm to the north west of this location that can be seen the Ordnance Survey map published in 1869 (Aberdeen Sheet LXXV.14). Just to the north of the old farm on the map is a single Aberdeen Water Works reservoir.
An article from The Leopard magazine by Diane Morgan (October/November 1985) explains that in 1885 an Aberdeen Corporation Water Act was passed to empower the Town Council to take eight million gallons daily from the River Dee and to build a second reservoir at Mannofield. This was to keep up with the city's rapid population increase.
To carry out the expansion, the council acquired the land adjoining the initial reservoir including the first Brae Farmhouse and its steadings. They then became known as Reservoir Cottage and Reservoir House and served as the home of the inspector of the water works. A relatively early inspector was called William Clark. On 28th February 1898 he died at the cottage aged 64. He was buried in the John Knox Churchyard (Aberdeen Weekly Journal, 02/03/1898, p.4).
Clark was likely succeeded as waterworks inspector by James Forsyth. The Forsyth family lived at the cottage well into the 20th century. James was married to Margaret (née Jaffray), who died after him on 28th July 1945, aged 85. Their second son, Sapper John Forsyth, died aged 26 at Oldmill Military Hospital on 20th April 1917. He was buried at Springback Cemetery.
The reservoirs continue to play a vital role in supplying water to Aberdeen. The cottage and house however were demolished in the late 20th century and replaced by modern water treatment buildings.
As shown on the 1901 OS map, sometime shortly after the passing of the 1885 act the Brae Farm we can see in this picture was built to the south east, where Morningside Road met Auchinyell Bridge. To the east, Aberdeenshire County Cricket Ground was also built around the same time.
This later Brae Farm was the home to the Kinnaird family for the first half of the 20th century. The heads of the family were Frank Kinnaird and Margaret Amelia Smith.
Their son Lance-Corporal A. G. Kinnaird, of the Royal Scots, was reported as a prisoner of war in Germany in June 1918. Prior to the war he had worked with the Clydesdale Bank (Evening Express, 03/06/1918 p.3).
Frank's eldest daughter, Jessie Sinclair, married James Smith Mathieson at Ruthrieston U.F. Church on 7th September 1927 (Evening Express, 08/09/1927, p.6).
A younger daughter, Edith Kinnaird, married a man from Portsmouth called Andrew Livingstone in July 1936. The marriage took place in Ruthrieston West Church and the reception was at the Caledonian Hotel (Press & Journal, 06/06/1936 p.8).
Daughters Amelia Elizabeth and Margaret Kinnaird both left Brae Farm in the 1920s (1924 and 1920, respectively) to reunite with fiancés who had travelled ahead to Canada.
Frank Kinnaird died on 12th August 1950, aged 84.
At some point during the 1930s-1950s the residential streets we know today, Morningside Avenue, Terrace and Place were constructed between the reservoir and the new farmstead. These streets take their name from Morningside Farm to the east. As can be seen in this photograph, the farm stood into the 1950s. It was eventually demolished when Morningside Avenue was extended to meet Morningside Road. The newer bungalows can be distinguished by their tiled, rather than slated roofs. Westburn Park
2123 A postcard of Westburn Park, looking north east. Westburn House can be seen in the centre of the image and the drinking fountain can be seen to the left past the fenced tennis greens. The Aberdeen Town Council bought the 25-acre Westburn estate in 1900 and created the public park. Milk from the Kirkhill Dairy
2236 Milk being delivered by two milk boys on Victoria Road, Torry. The milk came from the Kirkhill Dairy, Balnagask. The photograph shows a horse drawn cart.
Ian Smith has kindly been in touch to inform us that the man behind the cart is his grandfather, Albert Corbett. He ran Kirkhill Farm for much of his life.
The golden anniversary of Albert and Georgina Corbett (née Todd) was reported in the Press & Journal of 9th September 1970, page 18. The article explains that the couple had left South Kirkhill Farm, where Albert had farmed for 47 years, the previous year, moving to 28 Leggart Terrace.
They met when Georgia, an Aberdonian, moved to Fraserburgh. Albert worked on his family's nearby farm, called Watermill, and delivered milk to Georgina's landlady.
After marriage, and before moving to Balnagask, the couple lived in Strichen and ran a diary there. The article concludes stating, both aged 71, Albert and his wife had two daughters, named Mrs Irene Smith and Mrs Ethel Douglas, and three sons, Bert, James and Alistair. They also had nine grandchildren.
A family notice from the 10th January 1978 issue of the same newspaper states that Albert B. D. Corbett had died after a short illness, aged 79, the day before. A service was held for him on the 12th of that month at the Aberdeen Crematorium, Hazlehead (West Chapel).
Ian also checked with family members and informs us that the boy on the right in this photograph is Andy Cowe, who later moved to Seattle, USA, and on the left is Jocky Milne.
The Ordnance Survey, 25 inch to the mile, map of Balnagask published in 1899 indicates that there was once three houses called Kirkhill in the area; North, South and East.
South Kirkhill was located on the south side of Balnagask Road, a bit to the east of Balnagask House and Mains. East Kirkhill was not far to the east, on the other side of St. Fittick's Road and North Kirkhill was up towards Greyhope Road.
Later maps tell us that the original South Kirkhill was demolished by the early 20th century and by the 1950s East Kirkhill had taken its name. None of the residences remain today, the area of North Kirkhill is now part of Balnagask Golf Club and St. Fittick's Community Garden is now roughly where East (later South) Kirkhill once stood. North Kirkhill used to be the home of the greenkeeper of the golf course.
The use of the name Kirkhill likely refers to the nearby old St. Fittick's Church and the hilly terrain of Balnagask and Torry. Stop 5: Aberdeen's First Nursery for Working Women (1871-1874) and Night Shelter for the Homeless (1971-1986), East North Street
2304 In June 1871 a day nursery was established at 13 East North Street for the children of mothers who did laundry and cleaning jobs. It was run by the Aberdeen Association for the Poor, which nowadays is known as Voluntary Services Aberdeen and is Aberdeen's oldest charity. It was for children aged from 6 weeks to 5 years. Prices were one child 3d, nowadays 1p, two children 41/2d, for children from the same family and three for 6d. Prices were increased in 1873 as the nursery was not able to cover its running costs. This did not help and unfortunately the doors closed in May 1874 as it was not feasible for the Association to continue to run it at a loss of £60 a year. A Flower Mission was run instead where volunteers made and brought bouquets of flowers to sick women from the East End and it lasted for twenty years. In 1895-1902 nursery was re-established in the nearby 15-21 Princes Street. This is the site of the first night shelter founded by Mrs Hilda Wernham (1919-2002) in answer to what she saw as the very desperate need of the indigent population in Aberdeen. A justice of the Peace and founding member of the Cyrenians Mrs Wernham was a sparky lady with a social conscience and an ability to inspire others. She managed to persuade business people with her persistence and sense of humour to support the venture. Her enthusiasm and commitment have earned her a place in the history of Aberdeen. Her name lives on at Wernham House (pictured), the first hostel of its kind, established in 1986 at 7 Virginia Street by Aberdeen Cyrenians.
Memories:
Ina recalls Hilda Wernham
Alma's memories of Hilda Wernham and Aberdeen Cyrenians Triple Kirks Site
2663 Construction work at the Triple Kirks site in January 2018.
The site has had a long history of redevelopment. The churches largely fell into disuse and disrepair in the 1970s and 80s. Since that time there has been a number of proposed development plans.
One of the original three churches, the East Kirk, continues to house a popular pub, nightclub, and a dance studio.
Through the years there have been a number of companies involved in work on the site: Barrett Commercials, William Cowie Partnership, Esson Properties Ltd, Stewart Milne and, most recently, Dandara.
In around 2014 the remaining walls of the North Kirk were demolished and significant excavation, visible in this image, was begun.
This photograph shows work underway to reinforce the church spire. Craigie Bank (2 Hamilton Place)
2729 A photograph of 2 Hamilton Place, a house located at the corner of Westfield Road and Craigie Loanings. In the late 19th and early 20th century this house was known as Craigie Bank. This image is looking north east from the end of Hamilton Place. Old Gateway, Marischal College
3127 A photograph showing the gateway on Broad Street that once lead through to Marischal College and Greyfriars Church. It was demolished to make way for the new frontage of the College opened in 1906. On the right can be seen a small part of the College Gate Clothing House.
The following description is given on the back of this undated printed image:
"The City of Aberdeen has risen rapidly within the last decade or two in population and in importance as a commercial centre, and those conducting its business have from time to time found it necessary to adapt themselves and their premises to the altered circumstances. There is no business in connection with the Drapery Trade which has developed more than that conducted by the Proprietor of Greyfriars Warehouse. The business was commenced in 1867, in a small shop with one window on the east side of Broad Street, in front of Marischal College. Two years later a double shop adjoining was added, and, in 1878, the premises known as Greyfriars Buildings were opened, with several new departments.
"Ultimately these were found to be insufficient for the rapidly increasing business, when three blocks of buildings were secured on the west side of Broad Street, fronting Marischal College. These were partly rebuilt and arranged so as to admit of the introduction of new departments, such as Furniture, Carpets, Bedding and General Upholstery, and during the past year an entirely new block has been erected." Union St, Aberdeen, Looking East
3169 An Adelphi Series postcard showing a crowded Union Street with trams running in both directions. The photograph is looking east down Union Street.
The building on the left, at the junction with Back Wynd, is now inhabited by shops on the ground floor and a nightclub above. It was initially built in 1836-37 to a design by John Smith for the Society of Advocates in Aberdeen. It was their first purpose-built meeting hall and library in the city.
The society sold this building at 120 Union Street in 1870 and moved to new premises in Concert Court, where they remain to this day. The Union Street building was purchased by a confectioners called Lockhart & Salmond, later R. & J. Salmond, and functioned as a restaurant and public hall.
It was taken over in the early 1880s by a prominent Aberdeen caterer called George Watson. He had previously been the proprietor at The Grill and of a restaurant at 1 Union Terrace. For much of that decade the meeting rooms were also the home of the Aberdeen Conservative Club.
Watson opened the Queen's Restaurant at 118 Union Street in 1888 and this appears to be the origin of the building's lasting name. The main hall became the Queen's Billiards Saloon in the 1890s following the death of Watson in 1893.
The building was partially reconstructed and reopened as the lavish Queen's Restaurant and Tea Rooms by the Cabin Tea Rooms company in 1899. Following a stint as an auction house, it became a popular Aberdeen cinema in 1913 that operated for much of the 20th century.
A severe fire at the Queen's Cinema in 1936 led to the reconstruction of the building's interior. After the cinema closed in 1981 the premises laid empty before the reopening as a nightclub called Eagles in 1987. The building has remained in use as a nightclub ever since, becoming De Niro's in 1996 and Espionage in 2002.
This postcard was lent to Aberdeen City Libraries so that we could create a digital copy for public use. March Stone 3
3179 This stone is located against the cemetery wall at the corner of Nellfield Place and Great Western Road. It remains at this location in 2020. The large paving slabs seen here have been replaced by smaller paving blocks. It is marked '3 ABD'.
Kenndy's Annals gives the following description from 1698:
"Therefrae, to the houses at Cowperstown, where there is an sauser stone, two ells or thereby from the south-east gavel of the west most house."
In 1780 it is described as "a large earthfast stone in the North West corner of Mrs Cochrane's Parks of Ferryhill...".
Both this and the nearby number 4 stone are recorded on the Ordnance Survey 1868 large scale map of Aberdeen.
A slide of this image was kindly lent to Aberdeen City Libraries by Colin Johnston so that we could create a digital copy for public use.
The image was taken in the early 1980s when Colin worked as a teacher at Bridge of Don Academy. He led several current and former pupils, and staff members in an investigation into the location, physical condition and public knowledge of Aberdeen's historic boundary markers. March Stone 33
3215 This stone is located in a field 130 metres north east of No. 32, near a stepped approach to Elrick Hill. It is marked "33 ABD".
The stone is near the head of the Blind Burn and where a track, originating at the Craibstone Road, turns west to head to Southside Farm and Clinterty House.
The marker was described in 1525 as a "gret marche stanniss markit with the sauchter..." A saucer stone remains to the rear of the lettered stone.
A slide of this image was kindly lent to Aberdeen City Libraries by Colin Johnston so that we could create a digital copy for public use.
The image was taken in the early 1980s when Colin worked as a teacher at Bridge of Don Academy. He led several current and former pupils, and staff members in an investigation into the location, physical condition and public knowledge of Aberdeen's historic boundary markers. Aberdeen Theatres: His Majesty's Theatre
3356 Seating more than 1400, His Majesty's Theatre is the largest theatre in North-East Scotland and is now a category A listed building.
Situated on Rosemount Viaduct, it was designed by the architect Frank Matcham and costed £35,000. It was originally built as a replacement for the former Her Majesty's Theatre (now the Tivoli), meeting the need for a larger venue and better staging facilities.
Robert Arthur, the theatre impresario, submitted the plans for the new theatre in 1901. Construction started in 1904 and it opened on the 3rd December 1906 with a production of the pantomime Little Red Riding Hood, of which you will see the programme next in this exhibition. The pantomime played to a full house on its opening night and ran until the end of the year to great success.
Arthur's company presented plays, opera and pantomimes until 1912, when it ran out of funds. Robert Arthur Theatres Ltd. sold the theatre in 1923 to Walter Gilbert, managing director of the Tivoli Theatre. It changed hands again in 1932, after Gilbert's death, when it was bought by Councillor James F. Donald. The new owner refurbished the venue and introduced new features such as a revolving stage and a cinema projector.
In 1975, Aberdeen City council bought the venue, then allocated £3.5 million to give it a new life. After being closed for 23 months, His Majesty's Theatre was reopened on the 17th of September 1982 by Prince Charles.
In 2004, the theatre was once again closed for refurbishment. It reopened in 2005, renovated and modernised with a new green room, a coffee shop and re-upholstered seating. |