|
Quick Search
|
Search Results
You searched for: More Like: 'Town granted new coat-of-arms'
11 items
items as
Old Town House, Old Aberdeen
172 The Old Town House, High Street, Old Aberdeen, prior to the construction of St. Machar Drive. This Georgian Town House was built in 1788, by George Jaffrey, architect. Solid and symmetrical, it stands three storeys high under a piended slate roof with a central pediment and clock turret topped by a cupola. Over the entrance door is a freestone panel displaying the burgh coat-of-arms, dated 1721, wtih the Latin motto "Concordia res parvae crescunt" - By harmony small things increase. Old College Gateway on Broad Street
177 The Old College Gateway on Broad Street, leading to Marischal College. It was demolished in 1904 to make way for the new frontage to Marischal College. It was surmounted by the coat of arms of George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal, founder of the College. Tomb of Bishop Gavin Dunbar
195 The tomb of Bishop Gavin Dunbar at St. Machar's Cathedral, Aberdeen.
Gavin Dunbar was appointed Bishop of Aberdeen on 5th November 1518 and died on 9th March 1532. He became a great benefactor not only of King's College, but of the town.
It was he who took over the plans left after the death of Bishop Elphinstone and created the Bridge of Dee which opened road access to the City, from the south.
Dunbar also built the twin towers at St. Machar's Cathedral and gave its magnificent ceiling at his own expense. It comprises 48 heraldic shields including the arms of Scottish monarchs, nobles, Kings of Europe, and Scottish Bishops.
When he died in 1532, he was buried in the south transept of the cathedral. This was virtually destroyed after the collapse of the great central tower in 1688, and a recumbent statue of white marble of Dunbar was broken into pieces during the Reformation.
The splendor of the six foot richly carved arch of Morayshire freestone is still obvious despite its exposure to the weather. A bishop's mitre surmounts the Dunbar coat of arms and his initials, at the right hand side. Trinity Hall Gateway, Aberdeen.
299 Trinity Hall Gateway, Aberdeen. This ornamental gateway was erected at the original Trinity Hall in the Shiprow - the meeting place of the Incorporated Trades of Aberdeen - and dates from 1632. The left of the three panels contained the Guild family coat of arms and the initials D.W.G - Dr William Guild who gifted the building to the Trades. The central inscription reads: 'To ye glorie of God and comfort of the Poore, this Hows was given to the crafts by Mr William Guild, Doctor of Divinitie, Minister of Abdn:1633'. The inscription on the right hand panel reads: 'He that pitieth the poore lendeth to the Lord and that which he hath given will he repay' Prov. 19.17. The gateway was removed in the 1850's when the new hall was erected in Union Street in 1846, and was rebuilt into a side wall. However, later reconstruction work in the 1890's led to the demolition of the gateway although fragments were preserved in the hall. The Castlegate
574 The Castlegate, Aberdeen. The Town House is in the centre of the photograph with the spire of the Tolbooth to the right. The Athenaeum Building is on the left and behind the statue of the Duke of Gordon is the headquarters of the North of Scotland Bank. Note the cannon to the left of the Market Cross.
In his Annals of Aberdeen (1818) William Kennedy states "In the year 1394, King Robert III granted to the burgesses and community a charter, dated 20th of October, by which he permitted them to build a tolbooth and court house, eighty feet in length, and thirty feet in breath, in any part of the town except in the middle of the market place. This edifice was accordingly soon afterwards erected on the north side of the Castlegate, on the site of the present town house." (page 403)
In 1615 a new prison replaced the one on this site and it stood for many years. It was largely replaced or subsumed by the new town house development in the 1870s, however the old Tolbooth spire can still be seen - as in this photograph (the right most spire). Treasure 33: The Pedigree of the Cruickshanks of Stracathro
2321 Among the Local Studies collection of family trees is a chart from 1847 entitled Pedigree of the Cruickshanks of Stracathro. The title initially referred to the Cruickshanks of Langley Park but this has been scored out and replaced with Stracathro. A pedigree is a form of genealogical table. Collections of pedigrees were first made in the 15th century and, according to The Oxford Companion, were "a matter of aristocratic pride and of practical necessity for legal purposes". The term pedigree comes from the French 'pied de grue', meaning crane's foot, due to the resemblance of the genealogical lines to the thin legs and feet of the bird.
The pedigree of the Cruickshanks was compiled by E. G. G. Cruickshank, who features in the 10th generation detailed on the table.
The pedigree begins with the earliest ancestor at the top of the document with lines dropping down to succeeding generations. Each generation is given a Roman numeral and individuals within each generation are assigned Arabic numbers. The pedigree begins with "John Cruickshank first in Strathspey m. Mary Cumming of Elgin" and extends down to an incomplete 12th generation. The individuals in the 11th generation were mostly born in the 1870s.
The information listed on a family tree is dependent on the sources available and the purpose for which it was created. The information given on the Cruickshank's pedigree varies but typically includes an individual's date of birth, marriage details and date of death. Additional information is also supplied as is the case with the 7th generation of Cruickshanks - Margaret Helen is described as the daughter of Rev. Gerard of Aberdeen, author of a book whose title is unreadable, and sister to a Colonel Gerald. Details of army service are supplied for some individuals and many of the Cruickshanks were involved in the administration of India or served in the army there.
The tiny handwriting, use of abbreviations and sparse punctuation makes the document challenging to read so familiarity with the subject matter and names of places is useful. A later interpreter of the document has made a number of annotations in pencil. For example, one of the later additions points to an individual and reads "Is this W. Robertson of Auchinroath? Yes!"
In addition to a listing of descendants the pedigree is annotated with a number of original notes and a description of a coat of arms. The latin motto of Cavendo tutus translates as 'Safe through caution'. One note, quoting "an old paper", describes from where the family came prior to being in Strathspey. A note on the other side of the chart states that "distinguished Officer and Author the late Colonel Stewart of Garth" links the family to the Royal Family of Stewart and suggests the name of Cruickshank derives from "some deformity in the first cadet of the house."
Attached to the document is a letter dated 23 October 1927 from a Jim Bulloch to City Librarian G. M. Fraser. Bulloch explains that he got the pedigree from a Mr. Mackintosh of Elgin, thinks it is quite rare and that the library might like it for its collection. It has stayed in the Local Studies collection to this day.
The Gazetteer for Scotland website states that in 1775 Patrick Cruickshank, listed at No. 11 of the 7th generation, bought the estate of Stracathro in Angus. The property was subsequently inherited by his brother Alexander Cruickshank (1764 - 1846). Alexander hired the Aberdeen architect Archibald Simpson to build Stracathro House between 1824 and 1827. The Palladian Scottish country house still exists today.
University College London's Legacies of British Slave-ownership website indicates that Patrick and Alexander, and two other Cruickshank brothers, owned plantations on the Caribbean island of St Vincent that used slave labour. See Alexander Cruickshank's entry in the database here: 'Alexander Cruikshank of Stracathro', Legacies of British Slave-ownership database, http://wwwdepts-live.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/8590 [accessed 9th June 2020]. In 1833 when Britain abolished the ownership of slaves the government granted £20 million in compensation to former slave-owners. Alexander Cruickshank made three claims for compensation, two of which were successful.
In 1874, Stracathro House and estate were sold to Sir James Bannerman, Lord Provost of Glasgow, and father of Prime Minister Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman. The country house was later used as a World War II hospital and owned by Tay Health Board before being sold to private owners in 2003. North side of Union Street 15: 146 Union Street and 1-3 Union Terrace
4453 A photograph by Roddy Millar, taken 05/06/2024, from a series surveying the architecture of the north side of Union Street.
This image looks north east across Union Street towards the southern elevation of 146 Union Street and 1-3 Union Terrace. This building was constructed 1882-85 by master mason John Morgan (1844-1907), to a design by A. Marshall Mackenzie (1848-1933), of Messrs Matthews & Mackenzie, for the Northern Assurance Company.
Diane Morgan in The Granite Mile states that the Northern Assurance Company building replaced the townhouse of Harry Lumsden of Belhelvie, which had stood at 1 Union Terrace for approximately 80 years (p. 107). An article from the Aberdeen Journal of 08/11/1882, p. 5, indicates that, in addition to the house at 1 Union Terrace, the following buildings were purchased and demolished to make way for this office block: the corner house, formerly occupied by the Northern Club, and latterly by Watson's West End Restaurant, and no. 237 Union Street, which was occupied by Messrs Reid & Wilsone, advocates.
The ground floor Union Street side of the building features four tall windows capped by triangular pediments. To the left of them is an ornate side entrance with a semi-elliptical pediment. Diane Morgan describes the channelled stonework (banded pulvination) of the ground floor as "quite spectacular" (p. 109).
Morgan also highlights the myriad of detail on the building's façade, including the carved garlands decorating the frieze above the first floor's coupled Ionic columns. Note also the egg-and-dart carving on the capitals of these columns. Both features are used across the building.
High on the 1st floor façade of the building are four medallions, two shown here. The one on the right shown here, closer to the main entrance, features a representation of the three castles from the heraldic shield of Aberdeen. One depicting the shield from London's coat of arms, a cross of St. George with a sword in the 1st quarter, is on the other side of the portico. These two medallions represent the Aberdeen and London boards of the company. The outer two medallions, located at either end of the building feature the lion rampant that was the logo of the Northern Assurance Company.
The office space on the 3rd floor, at the very top of the building, was expanded with the addition of a new modern roof structure between 2012 and 2015. This can be seen at the top of this image.
Diane Morgan states that the Royal Insurance Co. merged with the Commercial Union in 1968, with other mergers and takeovers following. The building ceased being an insurance office around 100 years after its construction. In December 2003 the ground floor reopened as a bar and restaurant called The Monkey House, taking its name from the building's traditional nickname. Much of the interior of the historic building was retained in its conversion.
The Monkey House, which was run by Epic Group, closed in May 2016 following its owner agreeing to lease the premises to a Thai restaurant operator. The Leeds-based Thai Leisure Group opened Chaophraya Aberdeen later that year and it can be seen in this 2024 image. Provost Robertson's House
89 Drawing by G. Gordon Burr of Provost Robertson's House in Ross's Court, off Upperkirkgate. The drawing looks along Ross's Court, south east, towards Upperkirkgate, which can be seen through the pend in the centre.
Alexander Robertson of Glasgoego was Provost 1740-41. Above the building's doorway was an oblong panel with the inscription "Alexander Robertson - Jean Strachan - 1730". Over this was another panel with the remains of a representation of the Robertson coat of arms.
The house was removed in 1899 for new premises, designed by R. G. Wilson, for Aberdeen University Press. Treasure 122: Aberdeen Charters and Armorial Seals
345 For one of our final treasures we are travelling further back in time than we have done previously, to look at possibly the oldest items in Aberdeen City Libraries' collections. These are a collection of three charters dating from the 15th and 16th centuries, two of which have their wax seals still attached. They are written in Latin on parchment and describe the conveyance of land or rights from one party to another within the burgh of Aberdeen. The earliest of our charters dates from 13 March 1567 and is a charter respecting the granting by Gilbert Kintoir, senior, burgess of Aberdeen, of 'one half net of the ly fords fishings in the water of the river Dee' in favour of John Arthour, another burgess of Aberdeen. Our next charter is dated 10 May 1597 and is a charter of feuferm granted by Provost, Baillies, etc. of the Burgh of Aberdeen, in favour of William Jaffray, burgess. Our last charter is much later and dates from 1673. It is a charter of James Raite of Findlastoun.
Also on display are two replicas of Aberdeen City's 1430 armorial seal. One, a silver pendant, and the other a replica wax seal, both made by Malcolm Appleby in limited editions for the council in 1979. The permission to use the design of a shield bearing the Royal Tressure of Scotland (parallel lines around the shield with fleur-de-lis), and lion supporters on the 1430 arms, was given to the burgh of Aberdeen by King James I (1406-1437) in acknowledgement of the city's role as one of the four burghs (along with Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee) who had elected to pay the ransom for his liberty from captivity under King Henry VI of England. James had been captured by the English in infancy, and held as a prisoner of Henry V and Henry VI for 18 years.
To learn more about the fascinating evolution of Aberdeen's coat-of-arms, have a browse in the Treasures from our Collections interactive exhibition. Jubilee of the Aberdeen Tramways, 1874 - 1924
378 An invitation card for a dinner held to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of tramways in Aberdeen. The event held at the Music Hall took place on 2nd September 1924 and marked the jubilee on 31st August of the same year.
In 1898 Aberdeen Corporation bought the horse tramways of the Aberdeen District Company and undertook significant expansion and modernisation of local public transport.
The organisation was municipally run so the invitation is from the Lord Provost, Magistrates and Council and came from the Town-House.
In addition to the dinner, the card notes there will be a dance afterwards. The beautifully produced card features an embossed Aberdeen coat of arms and two images of the tramways - one a horse drawn tram and the other a then contemporary electrified double-decker.
The invitation was for "Mr Geo Niven & Lady". George Niven was a worker with the company and this card, along with a menu from the dinner, was kindly donated to Aberdeen Local Studies by his daughter in May 2018. |