|
Quick Search
|
Search Results
You searched for: More Like: ''Jocky's Nightmare' - poem'
114 items
items as
Sawmill Squad, Culter
1028 This image from around 1921 shows a squad of saw mill workers from Tom Davie's Mill on Malcolm Road, Culter. Those pictured are: Jocky Shewan, Sammy Stephen, Willie Mundie, Alfy Clark, Robbie Douglas, Dottie Christie and Alec Simpson. The Clayton Steam Wagon (Registration Number FE 2385) with its solid tyres had a top speed of 8mph. The lad sitting on the tree trumps would appear to be aged around 14 or 15 - he had probably only just left school. Milk from the Kirkhill Dairy
2236 Milk being delivered by two milk boys on Victoria Road, Torry. The milk came from the Kirkhill Dairy, Balnagask. The photograph shows a horse drawn cart.
Ian Smith has kindly been in touch to inform us that the man behind the cart is his grandfather, Albert Corbett. He ran Kirkhill Farm for much of his life.
The golden anniversary of Albert and Georgina Corbett (née Todd) was reported in the Press & Journal of 9th September 1970, page 18. The article explains that the couple had left South Kirkhill Farm, where Albert had farmed for 47 years, the previous year, moving to 28 Leggart Terrace.
They met when Georgia, an Aberdonian, moved to Fraserburgh. Albert worked on his family's nearby farm, called Watermill, and delivered milk to Georgina's landlady.
After marriage, and before moving to Balnagask, the couple lived in Strichen and ran a diary there. The article concludes stating, both aged 71, Albert and his wife had two daughters, named Mrs Irene Smith and Mrs Ethel Douglas, and three sons, Bert, James and Alistair. They also had nine grandchildren.
A family notice from the 10th January 1978 issue of the same newspaper states that Albert B. D. Corbett had died after a short illness, aged 79, the day before. A service was held for him on the 12th of that month at the Aberdeen Crematorium, Hazlehead (West Chapel).
Ian also checked with family members and informs us that the boy on the right in this photograph is Andy Cowe, who later moved to Seattle, USA, and on the left is Jocky Milne.
The Ordnance Survey, 25 inch to the mile, map of Balnagask published in 1899 indicates that there was once three houses called Kirkhill in the area; North, South and East.
South Kirkhill was located on the south side of Balnagask Road, a bit to the east of Balnagask House and Mains. East Kirkhill was not far to the east, on the other side of St. Fittick's Road and North Kirkhill was up towards Greyhope Road.
Later maps tell us that the original South Kirkhill was demolished by the early 20th century and by the 1950s East Kirkhill had taken its name. None of the residences remain today, the area of North Kirkhill is now part of Balnagask Golf Club and St. Fittick's Community Garden is now roughly where East (later South) Kirkhill once stood. North Kirkhill used to be the home of the greenkeeper of the golf course.
The use of the name Kirkhill likely refers to the nearby old St. Fittick's Church and the hilly terrain of Balnagask and Torry. Treasure 34: A Selection of Original Scots Songs in Three Parts
2322 Although the union of the Parliaments between Scotland and England had taken place almost a hundred years before, as the 18th century was drawing to a close there was still much fascination regarding the differing cultures. In time, Victorian society would give this fascination a renewed vigour, helped by Queen Victoria's passion for Scotland - including the establishment of Balmoral Castle as her residence North of the border. Before that time though, in the late 1790s, books were produced offering English readers an insight into their neighbours' traditions.
One such book was entitled 'A selection of original Scots songs' edited by Franz Haydn and published between 1790 and 1794. The book is designed to introduce the reader to the music and lyrics of traditional songs in Scotland. Haydn's book reproduced the songs along with corresponding music, and also offered a glossary to help with the more obscure language.
Burns' song 'My Heart's In The Highlands' - more popularly regarded today as a poem - makes an appearance in the selected works by Franz Haydn. With the collected works produced between 1790 - 1794, this was at a time when Burns began to suffer from the illnesses which would eventually end his life just a couple of years later.
Robert Burns
Celebrated across Scotland every year, Robert Burns Day takes place on 25 January and is an opportunity to remember Scotland's Bard and his work. Known the world over as the National Poet of Scotland, Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) was born in Alloway, Ayrshire. Burns' early life was one of balance; he toiled on his family's farm by day, and was taught reading and writing by candlelight at night. He conversed in Scots, while learning passages from English texts to further his studies. Although regarded by history largely as a poet, Burns also composed many songs - perhaps his most famous work 'Auld Lang Syne' being one of the few traditionally remembered in song form. One of our treasures this month celebrates Robert Burns' work and that of many other traditional Scottish musicians. The Timmer Market, Aberdeen
4580 The Aberdeen Timmer Market was a historic market for all Aberdeenshire citizens dating back to the 13th century.
"Timmer" comes from the word "timber". All products sold at the market, primarily tools and toys, were initially made from wood.
From its commencement in the early 1200s, the market was held on the last Wednesday of August each year at Castle Street. In 1913, the Timmer Market was moved to behind Justice Street. It was held for the final time in 1961.
There is a short poem on the front and a much longer poem on the back. An image of the latter can also be found on The Silver City Vault.
The publisher of the postcard is Wm. Smith & Sons, 18 Union Terrace. A reference to the release of the card can be found in the Aberdeen Daily Journal of 24th August 1910, page 6, column 7. This indicates that the postcard dates from 1910. The Timmer Market, Aberdeen
4581 Poem on the back of a Wm. Smith & Son's postcard of The Timmer Market on Castle Street about The Timmer Market. It dates from 1910. Treasure 73: Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language, 1895
275 Our treasure for the month of September looks at the person responsible for collating the first dictionary of the Scottish language. Born in Glasgow in 1759, John Jamieson was the son of a Scottish minister. Following his father's path, Jamieson studied theology and became pastor of a congregation at Forfar, Angus in 1781.
Alongside his ecclesiastical work, Jamieson developed a passionate interest in the development and study of language - philology. In Forfar, Jamieson briefly met Grimur Thorkelin, the National Archivist of Denmark who was in Britain researching the links between Danish and English. Thorkelin's chief legacy was the transcription and publication of the epic medieval poem, Beowulf.
From conversation with Thorklein, Jamieson set himself upon the task of recording those words he felt were exclusive to Scotland. It would be twenty years before his lifetime's work, The Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language would be published.
Subsequent revisions, amendments and abridgements refined Jamieson's original work - refuting some claims of Gothic origin, and proposing others. Our treasure is one of the revised editions of Jamieson's original work - a later edition from 1895.
View the Treasures from our Collection interactive exhibition on the touchscreen in Central, Airyhall, Tillydrone and Mastrick libraries to find out more about John Jamieson and his work.
Treasure 96: Aberdeen Intelligencer
315 There are currently two daily newspapers in Aberdeen - the Press and Journal and Evening Express. The Evening Express first appeared in January 1879. The Press and Journal has a much longer history being first published in January 1748 as the Aberdeen's Journal - the first newspaper to be published in northern Scotland.
Its editor was James Chalmers, son of the Rev. James Chalmers, Professor of Divinity at Marischal College. After his death in 1764, his son, also James, took over the business, and he, in turn, was succeeded by his son David in 1810.
Over the years there have been several rivals to the Journal's initial monopoly but the earliest was first published on 3rd October 1752 by Francis Douglas and William Murray. They called their paper the Aberdeen Intelligencer. It was supportive of the Jacobite cause whereas the Journal had Whig sympathies.
The Journal notes the forthcoming appearance of its rival in an advert in 1752 and subsequent notices give some idea of the contest between the two papers. This rivalry ended in 1757 when there appears to have been an agreement that Douglas and Murray should gain an interest in the Journal while ceasing to publish their own newspaper. The last issue of the Intelligencer appeared on 22nd February 1757.
Most of the conflict between the papers appears to have revolved around the cost of advertising. The population of Aberdeen and Old Aberdeen totalled less than 16,000 at this time and the available advertising revenue was unable to support both titles. Both Chalmers and Douglas reduced their prices for advertisements in 1753.
By February 1757, a proposal to unite the papers had been brought to the Commissioners of Supply for the County of Aberdeen and a notice in the Aberdeen Journal of 1st February 1757 says "And as the publishers of the Intelligencer are from that time to have a concern in the Aberdeen Journal, the Intelligencer will not be published after the last Tuesday of February". In the Journal of 1st March 1757, Chalmers notes that the price of advertisements will be raised again.
Unfortunately, it appears that a complete file of this short-lived newspaper has not survived in any library or archive. Individual issues may exist in private hands but the only copy held in our Local Studies collections was donated to the Public Library in 1927 by Henry Simpson, a teacher at Robert Gordon's College. It is number 96, dated Tuesday 30th July to Tuesday 6th August 1754. The City Librarian G. M. Fraser expressed his gratitude for "this only known number of that rare Aberdeen periodical" in letters to Mr Simpson in December 1927 and January 1928 when he promised that "It will be very carefully preserved".
Like the Journal of that period, it has four A3 size pages of 3 columns and comprises mostly national or international news selected from other newspapers as was the custom at that time, with a few local notes on page 4, including lists of shipping arrivals and departures.
The earliest original issue of the Aberdeen Journal held in our Local Collections is from 1758, but microfilm copies of the Journal from 1748 onwards are available for consultation in the Information Centre.
Although few copies of the Intelligencer survive, there are references in other publications which quote some of its content. The Scots Magazine of 1753 publishes an obituary for Mrs Janet Gordon of Aberdeen who was over 100 years old and reprints a poem which appeared in the Intelligencer. In 1755, the Scots Magazine published a discussion on the new method of singing church tunes which was spreading from the parishes in north-east Scotland into the city, as described in the Intelligencer on 26th November 1754.
The London Evening Post quotes a story detailing the tragic circumstances of a Highlander suffering from severe frostbite after being lost in a snow storm near Lochaber in January 1754.
Despite their rivalry in newspaper printing, Douglas and Murray published the Aberdeen Almanac for 1753 jointly with James Chalmers. This little volume lists phases of the moon, days when fairs were to be held in various Scottish towns, tide tables, Sovereign Princes of Europe with their year of accession, post days and postage rates. Wallace Nook
361 An old print from about 1840 showing the Wallace Nook on Netherkirkgate accompanied by a William Cadenhead poem. Private John M'Pherson
428 The front cover of a copy of Private John M'Pherson by Elsie S. Rae. It was a WWI poem written largely in Doric and first published in December 1917 by the Aberdeen Daily Journal Office. Grand Concert & Cinematograph Exhibition
546 The front cover of a programme for an event organised to raise funds for workers from Broadford Works, a textile factory in Aberdeen. These workers had been made unemployed due to the financial difficulties of the owners of the works, Richards & Co.
The event took place in the Music Hall on 21st December 1898, under the patronage of the directors and managers of the works. It featured the following acts: an organ recital by Mr John Allan; grand national fantasia, Scotland's pride by 1st Aberdeen Artillery Volunteer Band; Chairman's remarks by Lord Provost Fleming; songs from Miss Nellie Donaldson; a dramatic recital called Touch me gin ye daur by Mr Dove Paterson; a song called By the Fountain performed by Mr J. A. Goodlad; dancing by the Alexandra Trio; musical (instrumental) entertainment by Mr Will Pender; songs by Miss Jessie G. Roberton; Von German Girl, a comic song by Mr R. F. Davidson; dancing by Roberts and Masson Trio; Quartette, Thuringian Volkslied, by Messrs. Goodlad, Watt, Arthur, and Emslie; the world-famed cinematographists Messrs Walker & Company; another quartette, Soldiers' Chorus from Gounod's Faust by Messrs Goodlad, Watt, Arthur, and Emslie; recital of the William Cadenhead poem Broadford Mill by Mr Dove Paterson; Bedouin Love Song by Mr William Arthur; selections of bagpipe music by Mr Angus Gibson; dancing by Miss Duncan's Quartette, highland and national; descriptive fantasia by 1st Aberdeen Artillery Volunteer Band, A Hunting Scene; God save the Queen by 1st Aberdeen Artillery Volunteer Band. A dance assembly followed the concert.
Tickets for the event could be bought from the Lodge, Maberly Street, members of the committee and from various city centre businesses.
The back page of the item, also available to view on this website, features an illustration of the Hutcheon Street/Maberly Street site and some historical detail.
The programme was printed by the Rosemount Press. The Ferryhill Magazine
549 The Ferryhill Literary Association was formed in October 1879. This is the first, and most likely only, issue of their printed magazine.
The association had previously produced a manuscript magazine used solely at their meetings. The shown printed version was intended to share their work with a wider audience.
The stated aims of the association were to promote thought, to give impetus to literary work, and to afford a field for the full and free exchange of opinions on all questions set down for discussion.
The contents of the magazine are as follows: Dedicatory sonnet; Editorial note; Session 1884-85; In memoriam (poem); Hobbies; A narrow escape; Lux in tenebris (poem); Life (poem); Ferryhill improvements; A June day's experience; A London slum; A night thought (poem); A fragment (poem).
The association was based in Ferryhill, the area to the south of the centre of Aberdeen. The editorial committee of the magazine were G. Gibb, R. Houston, G. B. Mitchell, D. McMillan, G. Philip, A. C. Riddell.
The magazine was printed by Gibson & Thomson of Aberdeen. |