|
Quick Search
|
Search Results
You searched for: More Like: 'Treasure 102: Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanatorium'
10 items
items as
John Gray's Universal Supply Stores and Garage
1136 John Gray's Universal Supply Stores and Garage in Bucksburn, Aberdeen.
John R. Gray (1874-1947) was a native of Newhills. A brief obituary for him can be found in the Press & Journal newspaper of 6th January 1947 on page 4.
The obituary states that Gray was residing at 5 Auchmill Road, Bucksburn at the time of his death aged 74.
In business in the area for nearly half a century, he was best known as a garage proprietor. He transported passengers from Bucksburn to Newhills Church and Newhills Convalescent Home.
He was employed in the nearby Stoneywood Paper Works before opening a fruit and confectionary shop. This later became the general merchants, or universal supply store, shown here.
When entering the field of motor-hiring, his first method of transport was motorcycle and sidecar.
Some years before his death he had retired from his business, which was taken over by a son-in-law. He was survived by his wife, Helen Tosh, and a grown-up family. He was buried in Newhills Cemetery.
This photograph looks north towards Gray's premises at 3-9 Auchmill Road. Heading west and north, Auchmill Road divided into Inverurie Road and Oldmeldrum Road to the left of this image.
Gray's home at 5 Auchmill Road would have been part of the shop building shown on the left. These buildings were demolished some time in the later 20th century.
Bucksburn fountain, once the centre of the village, was also sited just to the west on Oldmeldrum Road. The fountain was moved to a nearby pocket park when the road was developed in 1996. Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanitorium
2477 A postcard photograph showing Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanitorium. The institution was founded, initially in a different building, by Christian Catherine Smith in 1874. The home was integrated into the NHS in 1948 and later bought by Aberdeen Town Council in November 1953. It operated as a care home for the elderly until 1980 when it was sold into private ownership. Freedom Lands and Marches of Aberdeen: March Stone 40
2568 Stone on south side of the south wall of Newhills Convalescent Home. March Stone 38
3222 This stone is located at the south side of the road from Ashtown, past Chapelbelts Wood, towards the site of Newhills Convalescent Home. The stone is near the bridge where Gough Burn issues from Moss of Brimmond. The stone is marked "38 ABD".
Described in 1698 as an earthfast stone marked by a saucer. Gough Burn was historically given as Golf Burn.
A slide of this image was kindly lent to Aberdeen City Libraries by Colin Johnston so that we could create a digital copy for public use.
The image was taken in the early 1980s when Colin worked as a teacher at Bridge of Don Academy. He led several current and former pupils, and staff members in an investigation into the location, physical condition and public knowledge of Aberdeen's historic boundary markers. March Stone 40
3224 This stone is located against the dry stone dyke, in a field to the south of 1 Christie Grange. Christie Grange is on the site of the former Newhills Convalescent Home. It is marked "40 ABD".
The marker was described in 1698 as a saucer marked stone next to a cairn.
A slide of this image was kindly lent to Aberdeen City Libraries by Colin Johnston so that we could create a digital copy for public use.
The image was taken in the early 1980s when Colin worked as a teacher at Bridge of Don Academy. He led several current and former pupils, and staff members in an investigation into the location, physical condition and public knowledge of Aberdeen's historic boundary markers. March Stone 40
3225 This stone is located against dry stone dyke, in a field to south of 1 Christie Grange. Christie Grange is on the site of the former Newhills Convalescent Home. It is marked "40 ABD".
It was described in 1698 as a saucer marked stone next to a cairn.
A slide of this image was kindly lent to Aberdeen City Libraries by Colin Johnston so that we could create a digital copy for public use.
The image was taken in the early 1980s when Colin worked as a teacher at Bridge of Don Academy. He led several current and former pupils, and staff members in an investigation into the location, physical condition and public knowledge of Aberdeen's historic boundary markers. Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanitorium
3810 A group portrait of patients and staff at the Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanatorium in the 1930s.
The Newhills Convalescent Home was founded by Christian Catherine Smith in 1874. She was the wife of Rev. James Smith, the minister of Newhills Parish Church. The couple lived in the nearby church manse. Christian grew up in North Ayrshire and demonstrated concern for the welfare of others from a young age.
Christian married James Smith on 14th April 1869 and it was shortly after arriving in the parish that she recognised the potential of the place as somewhere ill people could come to rest and regain their health. The convalescent home was subsequently started at Dykeside Cottage. It was a great success and operated at this location for 7 years.
Annual newspaper reports on the home described its purpose as being for "the benefit of respectable persons in humble life who appear to be failing into dishealth, or are convalescing after non-infectious ailments."
In 1908 Christian Smith stepped down as head of the home due to ill health and was replaced by a publicly elected executive board. This was led for many years by Dr. Walter A. Reid and during his tenure the institute was modernised and extended.
In 1948 the home was incorporated into the National Health Service. Due to issues of staffing and its unsuitability during winter, the decision was taken to close the home. Patients were transferred to other local hospitals and in the same year the home was sold to Aberdeen Town Council.
The buildings were subsequently operated as a home for the elderly and homeless until March 1980 when it was sold into private hands.
After leaving the manse in 1917, Christian Catherine Smith, the founder of the home, lived at 2 West Craibstone Street. She died there on 6th December 1924 aged 81. She was buried at Newhills Church and the then minister Rev. Andrew Currie led a memorial service. He described the Newhills Convalescent Home as "an institution not only for the healing of bodies, but a place for the comfort of hearts and the cure of souls." Christian Smith's name can still be seen today in one of the church's stained-glass windows. Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanitorium
3811 A photograph of a young man recuperating in bed at Newshill Convalescent Home and Sanatorium in the 1930s. Newhills Convalescent Home and Sanitorium
3812 A group of friends standing in the grounds of Newshill Convalescent Home and Sanatorium in the 1930s. It is unclear if these individuals were patients at the home or staff. The post-office, Mannofield
4518 A postcard image showing Mannofield Post Office on the corner of Great Western Road and Cranford Road. The junction for the latter is on the left.
The staff of the post office stand proudly outside their premises. The sign above the door indicates that the business was run by Mrs. Groundwater. This is likely the woman standing to the left of the door.
As indicated on the border to the left of the image, this postcard was published by E. Groundwater. Aberdeen post office directories from the time indicate that Mrs. E. Groundwater ran the Mannofield Post Office at 531 Great Western Road, which remains this building's address in modern times, and lived just to the left of this image at 4 Cranford Road.
Adverts for Rowntree's Cocoa, Fry's Chocolate and cigarettes are shown on the exterior of the post office. There is also a sandwich board outside the door which appears to be adverting the contents of the Aberdeen Free Press newspaper.
Historic newspapers indicate that Elizabeth Forbes Groundwater (1874-1950), née Sutherland, in later life lived at 592 Clifton Road. She was the widow of Allan Groundwater of Stoneywood and South Africa. On her death, she left a legacy of £2,398 to be shared among the Aberdeen Asylum for the Blind, the Royal Aberdeen Hospital for Sick Children, Aberlour Orphanage, and Newhills Convalescent Home.
This postcard was likely sold in Groundwater's post office. It was sent in 1904 and was sent from a local girl, who signs it "Mary W.", to a young friend, a Miss Allan of 5 Halkyn Terrace, Sefton Park, Liverpool, who had evidently visited Aberdeen.
The message written along the bottom of the postcard reads "Do you remember coming along this road and round the corner to our country house?" In the early 20th century there were a number of country houses in the vicinity.
The shown corner building at 531 Great Western Road still stands at the time of writing in 2025. An additional upper storey has been added above. |