Skip to Content
Log InRegister
    About the CollectionsOrdering Images
    Search
    Advanced SearchBrowse AllHistoric PhotographsHistoric DocumentsLocal StudiesSight and SoundSubjectsPlacesExhibitionsYour SearchesHelp with Searching
    Related Links
    Local StudiesOnline Library Resources
    Settings
    Pages

    Subject matches "Woodside" or its children

    46 items
    Page 1 of 3
    Search Within
    By FieldBy SubjectBy Your Searches
    More
    Share

    Bridge of Grandholme

    An engraving showing Grandholm Bridge over the River Don from a drawing by James Giles. The inscription in the bottom right indicates that the engraving was printed at the Deaf and Dumb Institution. This drawing likely looks west up the river and in the middle distance shows the Cruive Dikes, a complex of weirs and sluices across the River Don built for the purpose of fishing. Remains of these are located not far to the east of the modern Diamond Bridge. Some information on the ownership and operation of the cruives is given in the book The Annals of Aberdeen (Volume II, 1818) by William Kennedy, on pages 207-209. In the far distance is Grandholm Bridge. Aberdeen City Council's Historic Environment Record states that the bridge was built by the firm of Leys, Masson and Company in 1810 to improve access to its Granholm Works. It was a wooden bridge with a small lodge and was known locally as the "White Bridge". The 1810 bridge was replaced by the present steel structure, built by the Motherwell Bridge Company, in 1922.

    The Sir John Anderson Library

    The Sir John Anderson Library, Clifton Road, Woodside.

    Great Northern Road, Woodside

    Today Woodside is a busy and thriving community with a dual carriageway and railway running through its heart. Modes of transport and services have changed radically over the past two hundred years but due to its location Woodside has always been part of a wider network and this has helped to drive industry and increase travel.

    Children's library, Woodside

    The Children's section downstairs in Woodside Library, Clifton Road.

    The No2. Woodside Tram, 1900

    The No2. Woodside Tram. Anderson Road, Aberdeen 1900. A group of Aberdeen businessmen formed the Aberdeen District Tramways Company in 1871 and proposed a number of tram routes to run within Aberdeen. This was the beginning of the use of horse drawn trams within the city and a regular tram service started to run from St. Nicholas Street to Woodside. The Aberdeen Corporation purchased the District Tramways in 1898 and started to electrify the tram routes and the first route to be electrified was the Woodside line in December 1899. The trams were a popular and convenient mode of travel and the tramways competed with the railways by providing a similar suburban service. By the 1950's plans were afoot to replace all of the trams with buses as Aberdeen Transport Committee decided that a modern fleet of buses could provide quicker and more regular services at cheaper running costs. The last tram to Woodside ran in 1955.

    Anderson Library, Clifton Road, Woodside

    Engraving of the Anderson Library, Clifton Road, Woodside. The library was built by Sir John Anderson. The Architect was Arthur Clyne. c.1883.

    The Barracks, Woodside

    A factory worker had a hard working day with the day beginning as early as 5.30 same days, wages were also very poor. Woodside works built housing across the field from the mill to house apprentices. The building was known as the Barracks and also Persley Castle. It later served as a residential care home.

    Congregational Church, Woodside

    Congregational Church, Woodside. This is the oldest church in Woodside and had its origin in the early 19th Century, when the people of the district had no place of worship nearer than Oldmachar Cathedral. A subscription list was issued in November 1818, and within a month enough money had been raised to permit building operations to begin. A small thatch-roofed building was erected on the site of the present Congregational Church and although there is no record of the opening services, they must have taken place near the end of 1819. the building was known as the Cotton Chapel.

    The Fountain at Woodside

    The small square containing the Woodside Fountain at the junction of Hadden Street and Don Street has often been recognised as the centre of the burgh. The fountain was used as a place for animals to stop and drink from. The fountain also was used in more of a communal sense as teenagers were often seen "walking the mat", which meant walking from the fountain to the old tramway terminus at and back again.

    Woodside Tram No2

    Woodside Tram No2 at Anderson Road in Woodside. The Motorman is Mr C. Wight.

    Robert Yule, Grocer and Spirit Dealer

    By the 1840s Woodside was a thriving village and as such had a good selection of local services and shops which provided the locals with all they needed. This photograph, possibly taken when it opened, shows Robert Yule's grocer and spirit dealer shop at 429 Great Northern Road in Woodside, a north-west suburb of Aberdeen, amalgamated into the City in 1891. The proprietor's home is next door at No. 427. Yule's shop was here from 1922 to 1972. It can be seen how the right half of the ground floor of the building has been converted into the shop. The 2 shop assistants stand proudly outside in their spotless white aprons. Shops such as this were the hub of local communities before the age of the supermarket.

    Granite City Football League dinner dance

    Dinner dance at the Embassy Rooms, Woodside for the Granite City Football League. 1969.

    The Library Committee

    The Library Committee (with G M Fraser City Librarian, extreme right). The first Library Committee was appointed in April 1884 and it continued as a separate committee until local government re-organisation in 1975 when it functioned as a sub committee of the Arts and Recreation Committee.

    Woodside House

    Many thanks to correspondent Michael Morrison for identifying Woodside House as the building shown in this photograph. He informs us that the house was converted into a hotel in 1930. It was known as the Woodside House Hotel and also Cruives Inn. It closed down in 1973 when the then owner, Margaret Goodwall, sold the property to the Dee and Don River Purification Board. The building is located off Mugiemoss Road and now functions as a care home.

    Grandholm Mills

    The dinner hour, workers crossing the bridge over the River Don. The history of the mills in Woodside has gone through prosperous and bad times with several being closed in the mid-1800s and subsequently reopened towards the end of the century. The success especially of the paper and cloth mills of the area has provided work for many generations of Woodsiders. A linen and cloth factory moved to the Grandholme mills site in mid-18th century from Gordon Mills and was taken over by James and John Crombie in 1859. J&J Crombie went on to produce the famous worldwide Crombie cloth at the Grandholme Mill, leading to the long association between Woodside and the fabric. The mill at one point employed up to 3000 people. J&J Crombie were included on a list of government suppliers and one tenth of all coats worn by British officers of the First World War were made with the Crombie cloth. By World War II 467 miles of the cloth was being produced at the Grandholme mill per year. By 1960 Grandholm was the largest supplier of tweed in the UK and also produced silk, wool, cashmere and yarns. Sadly the business has now been moved away from the Woodside area to the Borders. The bridge shown in this photograph is the old wooden bridge that was known locally as the "White Bridge". It was built by the firm of Leys, Masson and Company in 1810 to improve access to its Granholm Works. It was replaced in 1922 by the present steel structure, built by the Motherwell Bridge Company.

    The Fountain, Woodside

    A postcard showing the fountain, a local landmark, at Woodside, to the north west of Aberdeen. The small square, shown here, containing the Woodside Fountain at the junction of Great Western Road and Don Street was often recognised as the centre of the burgh. The fountain was used as a place for animals to stop and drink. The fountain also was used in more of a communal sense as teenagers were often seen "walking the mat", which meant walking from the fountain to the old tramway terminus and back again. Dr. Mike Mitchell has informed us that the tram shown was one of the original Woodside electric tram fleet, numbered 1-8. No. 7 was new in 1899. In this period trams carried individual number series for each route, so this was "Woodside 7".

    The Fountain, Great Northern Road, Woodside

    A postcard showing the Woodside fountain on Great Northern Road.

    Grandholm Bridge

    Grandholm Bridge in the snow.

    Woodside Picnic

    A picnic outing underway in the Woodside area.

    Bridge of Grandholme

    An engraving showing Grandholm Bridge over the River Don from a drawing by James Giles. The inscription in the bottom right indicates that the engraving was printed at the Deaf and Dumb Institution. This drawing likely looks west up the river and in the middle distance shows the Cruive Dikes, a complex of weirs and sluices across the River Don built for the purpose of fishing. Remains of these are located not far to the east of the modern Diamond Bridge. Some information on the ownership and operation of the cruives is given in the book The Annals of Aberdeen (Volume II, 1818) by William Kennedy, on pages 207-209. In the far distance is Grandholm Bridge. Aberdeen City Council's Historic Environment Record states that the bridge was built by the firm of Leys, Masson and Company in 1810 to improve access to its Granholm Works. It was a wooden bridge with a small lodge and was known locally as the "White Bridge." The 1810 bridge was replaced by the present steel structure, built by the Motherwell Bridge Company, in 1922.
    Aberdeen City Libraries
    The Scottish Government - Riaghaltas na h-Alba
    SLAINTE
    iBase
    PrivacyTerms and ConditionsContact Us
    0 selected
    Search Within
    By FieldBy SubjectBy Your Searches
    Compare
    Export
    Organise
    Update
    Workflow
    Advanced