Skip to Content
Log InRegister
    About the CollectionsOrdering Images
    Search
    Advanced SearchBrowse AllHistoric PhotographsHistoric DocumentsLocal StudiesSight and SoundSubjectsPlacesExhibitionsYour SearchesHelp with Searching
    Related Links
    Local StudiesOnline Library Resources
    Settings
    Pages

    Subject matches "Fishing" or its children

    126 items
    Page 1 of 7
    Search Within
    By FieldBy SubjectBy Your Searches
    More
    Share

    Fishwives

    Fishwives gutting herring in a yard at Point Law. c.1900. Behind them are the barrels into which the herring would be packed with salt ready for export.

    Fish gutters

    Crews of fish gutters at work in the open air. The shiploads of barrels full of salted herring are ready for export to the Baltic.

    Bridge of Grandholme

    An engraving showing Grandholm Bridge over the River Don from a drawing by James Giles. The inscription in the bottom right indicates that the engraving was printed at the Deaf and Dumb Institution. This drawing likely looks west up the river and in the middle distance shows the Cruive Dikes, a complex of weirs and sluices across the River Don built for the purpose of fishing. Remains of these are located not far to the east of the modern Diamond Bridge. Some information on the ownership and operation of the cruives is given in the book The Annals of Aberdeen (Volume II, 1818) by William Kennedy, on pages 207-209. In the far distance is Grandholm Bridge. Aberdeen City Council's Historic Environment Record states that the bridge was built by the firm of Leys, Masson and Company in 1810 to improve access to its Granholm Works. It was a wooden bridge with a small lodge and was known locally as the "White Bridge". The 1810 bridge was replaced by the present steel structure, built by the Motherwell Bridge Company, in 1922.

    Brig o' Balgownie over the River Don

    An engraving showing the Brig o' Balgownie over the River Don from a drawing by James Giles. The inscription in the bottom right indicates that the engraving was printed at the Deaf and Dumb Institution. The title of this engraving describes the Brig o' Balgownie as the Bridge of Don. This is due to it serving as the main bridge over the river until the construction of the bridge known today as the Bridge of Don in 1827-30 by engineers John Smith and Thomas Telford. This image likely looks south east along the river, towards the bridge, from between Tam's Hole and Black Nook. This was an important salmon fishing area in the past. Some information on the catching of fish on the river is given in the book The Annals of Aberdeen (Volume II, 1818) by William Kennedy, on pages 206-211.

    Albert Quay

    Looking north west along Albert Quay and Albert Basin. Sailing smacks, traditional fishing boats, are moored along the quayside. This is before the days of steam trawlers. An array of barrels for the transport of fish can also be seen. The masts of large sailing ships berthed in Victoria Dock can be seen in the distance.

    The North Pier

    A scene from the North Pier, looking across to the South Breakwater in the background. A steam trawler is heading out to sea.

    Fish Market

    A photograph showing fish displayed at Aberdeen Harbour's covered Fish Market. This likely shows the market at the junction of Market Street and Albert Quay. Advert for Isdale and McCallum's Soap Powder and Dunn's Boots are visible on the far wall.

    Salmon fishers

    Salmon fishers on the River Dee.

    Fish Market

    The covered fish market at Aberdeen Harbour in the early 20th century. "Brown" is written on the boxes in the middle of the image. This is likely fish merchant Thomas Brown & Co. (of Lerwick), who were based on South Esplanade West in this period.

    Herring boats

    Herring boats near the Harbour

    Aberdeen Fish Market

    A George Washington Wilson & Co. photograph of Aberdeen Fish Market. Boxes of fish are waiting to be inspected and sold.

    Fishing boats in Aberdeen Harbour

    Fishing boats in Aberdeen Harbour

    Market Street and Albert Quay

    A photograph of Aberdeen Harbour. The image likely dates from some time in the late 19th century. The photograph was taken at the junction of Lower Market Street and Albert Quay, before the extension of the covered fish market along this stretch to the pontoon docks on the quay. See this photograph taken slightly north showing the upper part of Albert Basin and the covered fish market then on Commercial Road.

    Aberdeen Fisher Girls

    A postcard image showing fishwivies are on the Torry side of River Dee. The photograph looks north west towards the Tidal Harbour. The bottom right of the postcard has the initials "R.G.J.", which is likely the publisher of the card.

    Leaving Aberdeen Harbour

    A Leith registered fifie leaving Aberdeen Harbour. The white building seen behind the sails is the Round House, the Harbour Master's office, on the New Quay at Fittie. The fifie was a fast wind-powered sailing boat favoured for herring fishing on much of Scotland's east coast from the 1850s until well into the 20th century. Its main features were the vertical stem (front) and stern (back) and the wide beam (width) making them stable in the water. Fifies had two masts, a main dipping lugsail and a mizzen sail. Fifie's were increasingly decked following the recommendations of Captain Washington's 1849 report into the Moray Firth fishing disaster. See SCRAN's webpage on Scottish sail powered fishing boats for more information on the subject. The Tidal Harbour is in the background, beyond the landing stage of Pocra Quay's Lower Basin.

    Fishing boats

    A group of sail fishing boats, possibly fifies, leaving Aberdeen Harbour.

    The Herring Season at Aberdeen

    A George Washington Wilson photograph titled The Herring Season at Aberdeen. It is numbered 2957. It shows sail fishing boats returning through Aberdeen's harbour mouth. The South Breakwater can be seen in the background. The most visible boats are registered in Inverness (INS2092 and INS34).

    Leaving Aberdeen Harbour

    A photograph showing sail fishing boats leaving Aberdeen Harbour. They are passing the North Pier, visible in the background.

    Herring gutters and packers

    A George Washington Wilson photograph showing herring being gutted, salted and packed in barrels for export to the Baltic. The image does not show Aberdeen, but another UK harbour, perhaps Stromness.

    Allan and Dey
    Advert
    Aberdeen City Libraries
    The Scottish Government - Riaghaltas na h-Alba
    SLAINTE
    iBase
    PrivacyTerms and ConditionsContact Us
    0 selected
    Search Within
    By FieldBy SubjectBy Your Searches
    Compare
    Export
    Organise
    Update
    Workflow
    Advanced