We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.
Victoria Road
of 1

Victoria Road

Historic Photographs
David Oswald
This item is active and ready to use
Victoria Road
Historic Photographs
2252
Victoria Road
Victoria Road was one of the first streets in the development of New Torry in the late 19th century. As the population of Aberdeen rapidly increased and advances were made in fishing technology there was a need for more housing in Torry.

The Torry Land Association controversially bought the land that had previously been occupied by Torry Farm and began work on what would become the main street in Torry.

This view taken from the junction with Menzies Road shows the Victoria Bar on the corner. This is reputed to be the old site of the Torry Farm duck-pond.

The first houses, Nos 104 and 110, were built by Calder Duncan and David Alexander around 1883. These villas have since however been replaced with the type of granite tenements that dominate the area.

In this image the No.43 electric tram is clearly seen on its way to Guild Street from St. Fitticks Road. Torry was one of the last places in Aberdeen to get a tram line, the route being opened in 1903. Tram rosettes are still visible on the frontage of many of Torry's tenements today. The rosettes are where overhead power lines for the trams were fixed into the walls. The last tram to Torry ran in a blizzard in February 1931.

In addition to gas lamps, Victoria Road was home to many notable residents over the years. These include Dr Laura Sandison who ran a clinic on the street. She was a pioneering woman doctor, politician and a mentor to Mary Esslemont. Sandison was known to residents of Torry and beyond for always riding her bicycle and in her Press and Journal obituary in 1929 she was described as "the best loved woman in Aberdeen."
Torry
Streets
PC04_06 [R03_35]
Aberdeen Local Studies
Other Items Like This
Isaac Benzie's shop, Torry
Walker Road School
Menzies Road
No. 27 Tram