We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.
Grandholm Mills
You searched for: More Like: 'Shell UK's premises, Torry'
of 9

Grandholm Mills

Historic Photographs
Sarah Dyce
This item is active and ready to use
Grandholm Mills
Historic Photographs
1715
Grandholm Mills
The dinner hour, workers crossing the bridge over the River Don.

The history of the mills in Woodside has gone through prosperous and bad times with several being closed in the mid-1800s and subsequently reopened towards the end of the century. The success especially of the paper and cloth mills of the area has provided work for many generations of Woodsiders.

A linen and cloth factory moved to the Grandholme mills site in mid-18th century from Gordon Mills and was taken over by James and John Crombie in 1859. J&J Crombie went on to produce the famous worldwide Crombie cloth at the Grandholme Mill, leading to the long association between Woodside and the fabric. The mill at one point employed up to 3000 people.

J&J Crombie were included on a list of government suppliers and one tenth of all coats worn by British officers of the First World War were made with the Crombie cloth. By World War II 467 miles of the cloth was being produced at the Grandholme mill per year.

By 1960 Grandholme was the largest supplier of tweed in the UK and also produced silk, wool, cashmere and yarns. Sadly the business has now been moved away from the Woodside area to the Borders.
C54_11
Aberdeen Local Studies
"I used to work at Crombies at Grandholm. It was a woollen mill, we had to climb up and down steep steps to get to it. There was pay day and also sweetie day when we went to the shop and got some sweeties."

(Memories of working life at the mill from the Torry Reminiscence Group.)
Other Items Like This
Grandholm Bridge over the River Don
Culter Paper Mills
Stoneywood Paper Mills
Stoneywood Paper Mills