We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.
Sir David Stewart
You searched for: More Like: 'Inauguration Ceremony'
of 53

Sir David Stewart

Historic Photographs
David Oswald
This item is active and ready to use
Sir David Stewart
Historic Photographs
2029
Sir David Stewart
A portrait of Lord Provost Sir David Stewart (1835 - 1919). He served as Provost of Aberdeen from 1889 to 1894. After graduating from King's College in 1855 he joined his father in the firm Messrs. S. R. Stewart & Co., the largest combmaking business in the world. Stewart was the president of the Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce for 1883-84 and was also a member of the School Board. He entered the Town Council in November 1889. One very significant development during his term as Provost was the Aberdeen Corporation Act of 1891. This extended the boundaries of the city to include Old Aberdeen, Woodside and Torry.

He also, somewhat reluctantly, gave his name to Stewart Park. The Woodside amenity was officially opened on the afternoon of Saturday 9th June 1894. The Aberdeen Journal's report of the ceremony has the Provost responding to a toast by stating "he did not know what the park was to be called. It was rather hard lines that he should be put in the position of saying 'No' to the request that had been made, but if he had been properly consulted - he would have advised them not to call it the Stewart Park. He might have possibly been chaffed [chuffed] about it being called the Stewart Park, and taken a good-natured smile, but he did not think he ever gave his consent any way. He felt it would be just as well perhaps if the committee called it 'Hilton' or 'Woodside,' and perhaps they would reconsider it." He left the matter in the hands of the Town Council and the name stood.
Provosts
D17_09
Aberdeen Local Studies
Other Items Like This
Collison's Aisle, St Nicholas Church
Union Bridge
Provost Skene's House
Provost Skene's House