We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.
Collison's Aisle, St Nicholas Church
You searched for: More Like: 'An artist's view of the North East'
of 342

Collison's Aisle, St Nicholas Church

Historic Photographs
This item is active and ready to use
Collison's Aisle, St Nicholas Church
Historic Photographs
46
Collison's Aisle, St Nicholas Church
Collison's Aisle, St Nicholas Church. Aberdeen. This George Washington Wilson photograph shows the memorial stones inserted in the west wall of Collison's Aisle. Originally called Aisle of the Holy Blood, it formed part of the north transept between the East and West Churches of St Nicholas and was renamed after 1594, although it probably dates from the 14th century. Members of the Collison family held important civic offices at various times, including Provost in 1521 and 1594, and their place of burial was in this aisle. The memorial stones commemerate Andrew Cullen, Thomas Menzies and his wife Mariene Reid, and Sir John Rutherford. Andrew Cullen was a merchant and Provost of Aberdeen in 1506 and 1535, and the stone shows a sculptered coat of arms above the words "Andrew Cullen Prepositus Abd". Thomas Menzies was Provost in 1525 and (for 40 of the next 50 years), only leaving office in favour of other members of his family. He married Mariane Reid of Pitfodels. The stone has two panels above a shield bearing the Menzies coat of arms, flanked by the initials T.M. The second panel has the initials M.R. and a shield with the Menzies and Reid coats of arms. Beneath is the motto 'Spero in Deo et ipse faciet' - Trust in God and he will perform'. The third stone commemorates Sir John Rutherford of Tarland, first elected Provost of Aberdeen in 1483 and every alternate year until 1492, and again between 1496-1500. He probably died about 1520.
Aberdeen City Centre
Churches
George Washington Wilson
A09_21
Aberdeen Local Studies
Other Items Like This
Union Bridge
Union Terrace Gardens
Wallace Tower, Netherkirkgate
Wallace Tower, Netherkirkgate