We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.
Trinity Lane
You searched for: More Like: 'Competition will breathe life into Torry'
of 12

Trinity Lane

Historic Photographs
This item is active and ready to use
Trinity Lane
Historic Photographs
1208
Trinity Lane
Trinity Lane, Aberdeen, c.1975, from Exchange Street.

The Trinity place-name comes from the area once being the site of a Trinitarian Friary.

The building to the right in this photograph was once known as Trinity Chapel, or Trinity Parish Church. It was opened for public worship on Sunday 27th April, 1794.

For a number of years, the chapel was an important centre of religious life and activity. The Disruption of 1843 significantly diminished the congregation. The building was subsequently sold by the Presbytery and became the Alhambra Music Hall.

See Gammie's Churches of Aberdeen (1909) for more information on the history of this congregation and building.

A large part of the exterior still stands and the building currently houses Wagley's public house. In this photograph Alex. McKay, electrical appliance showroom, is in occupation. Newspaper notices indicate that the business moved here, from 41 The Green, in 1966.

The building in the centre of the image is best known, as shown here, as a banana warehouse for Knowles & Sons, fruiterers and later as a restaurant and art gallery. It was originally built as a church for Aberdeen's Catholic Apostolic congregation.

MUSA was a restaurant and art space, with a focus on music, throughout the first two decades of the 21st century. It closed down in October 2018.

8th March 2019 saw the opening of a new bar in the building called The Hop & Anchor, specialising in craft beer. It is owned by a company called the Draft House and this is their first pub outside London. The Draft House is owned by Brewdog, the North East beer company.
Aberdeen City Centre
Churches
O41_15
Aberdeen Local Studies
"There was a wholesale fruit merchant, Rezin's, on Regent Quay. Around the time of the war, word got round really quickly when a banana boat came in. I cycled all the way from Great Northern Road as soon as the news reached us. People came from all over to queue up to get a bunch of bananas. Where MUSA is now was also a banana warehouse. Other fruit sellers were Knowles and Veitch Moir."

(Memories of wartime rationing from the Torry Reminiscence Group.)
Other Items Like This
Castlehill Barracks
Doorway of the second Trinity Hall
Shuttle Lane prior to slum clearance
Regent Cinema on Justice Mill Lane