Home > Show All
Regent Cinema on Justice Mill Lane
The Regent Cinema on Justice Mill Lane, was renamed as the Odeon. The structure in the foreground is a ventilator shaft for electricity tunnels underground. The Odeon was closed in 2002.
Tomb of Bishop Gavin Dunbar
The tomb of Bishop Gavin Dunbar at St Machars Cathedral, Aberdeen. Gavin Dunbar was appointed Bishop of Aberdeen on 5th November 1518 and died on 9th March 1532. He became a great benefactor not only of King's College, but of the town. It was he who took over the plans left after the death of Bishop Elphinstone and created the Bridge of Dee which opened road access to the City, from the south. Dunbar built the twin towers at St Machar's Cathedral and gave its magnificent ceiling at his own expense. It comprises 48 heraldic shields including the arms of Scottish monarchs, nobles, Kings of Europe, and Scottish Bishops. When he died in 1532, he was buried in the South Transept of the cathedral. This was virtually destroyed after the collapse of the great central tower in 1688, and a recumbent statue of white marble of Dunbar was broken into pieces during the Reformation. The splendour of the six foot richly carved arch of Morayshire freestone is still obvious despite its exposure to the weather. A bishop's mitre surmounts the Dunbar coat of arms and his initials, at the right hand side.
Aberdeen Grammar School
Facade of Aberdeen Grammar School on Skene Street, designed by James Matthews in 1861-63. The statue of Lord Byron who attended the school for a short time may be seen on the left of the photograph.
Tomb of Bishop William Elphinstone
The tomb of Bishop William Elphinstone in King's College Chapel, Old Aberdeen. The bronze and marble monument was designed by Henry Wilson and it is seen here within the Chapel in the 1920's. Due to issues with its size, the monument was eventually relocated to a site outside the Chapel in 1946.
Marischal College dated c.1906. The view overlooks the Guestrow area which would become part of a slum clearance scheme in the 1930's although Provost Skene's House, the turretted building in the foreground, would survive. The sparkling Kemnay granite of the newly completed frontage to the College stands out clearly. At the right are the tower of the North Church, now Aberdeen Arts Centre, and the spire of Greyfriars Church.
Union Street looking east
Union Street looking east
Bridge Street, Aberdeen. c.1890
Bridge Street, Aberdeen. This George Washington Wilson image shows a horse drawn bus on Bridge Street travelling towards Union Street. The stairs leading to the upper deck can be seen, and the iron wheels must have been very noisy on the cobbled streets. The bus is just passing the American Store whose premises were 'To Let', and Galloway and Sykes, cabinet makers - the latter firm are only listed at 50 Bridge Street between 1887 and 1889.
Timmer Market at the Castlegate
Timmer Market at the Castlegate, with the Salvation Army Citadel in the background. This market is held annually in August. The picture was published by William Smith, Bon-Accord Press.
Bridge of Dee
Bridge of Dee.
Fife Arms Hotel
Fife Arms Hotel from the west, Braemar
John W. Whyte's shop, Bridge Street, Ellon
John W. Whyte's shop, Bridge Street, Ellon advertising Cadbury's and Fry's chocolate on his windows
Logie Coldstone church
This photograph was originally titled "Newkirk from the Bridge, Dinnet" and shows Thomas Dawson's General Merchant shop in the background. The actual church is somewhat north of Dinnet however - being in Logie Coldstone. The stone arch bridge has long been replaced with a much wider and more level surface protected by metal railings.
S.S. "Euripides", Aberdeen White Star Line
Mill of Udny
Mill of Udny
Deeside Hydropathic at Murtle, five miles to the west of Aberdeen City Centre, was built for the Rev Dr Alexander Stewart in 1899. He had founded a similar establishment in 1874 at Heathcot, Kincardinshire, and the growth of business there led to the selection of this new site close to Murtle Station on the Deeside Railway. It was also seen as a convenient centre for visiting the Deeside area. The extensive grounds included a croquet lawn, bowling green and tennis courts, while the Deeside Golf Club was only a mile away. The building itself had 92 bedrooms, there were Turkish, Russian, vapour, electric and spray baths. Since hydropathy was a medical treatment consisting of the external and internal application of water, the proximity of an artesian well supplying abundant pure water was also a feature. After the first World War, the building was sold and converted into Tor-Na-Dee Sanatorium in August 1918, specialising in the treatment of tuberculosis. More recently it has been used as a convalescent hospital, but it is now being re-developed for housing. Dr Stewart was born in 1835 in Coupar, Angus and studied at Glasgow University and did the medical course at Aberdeen University. At his death in 1909, he was Minister of John Street Congregational Church in Aberdeen, having been ordained there in 1864.
United Free Church, Cults
United Free Church, North Deeside Road, Cults. Designed by the architect Duncan McMillan, the church was dedicated in April 1903, and became Cults East Church in 1929. In the early hours of 19 January 1941, a disastrous fire destroyed the building leaving only the spire and stair tower. These remained standing until 2012 when the whole site was cleared for the development of the Cults Kirk Centre.
Cults main road and hotel
Cults main road and hotel.
Aberdeen Harbour, showing steamers
Clifton Road, Aberdeen
This view from around 1910 shows Clifton Road looking south at its crossroads with Leslie Road and Hilton Street. Clifton Road runs north from Kittybrewster to Woodside, which was a separate burgh form Aberdeen until 1891. It was originally call Tanfield Road but was renamed in 1894. These mainly granite terraced houses were being built during the 1890s. On the left of the photo are the premises of A.M. Black, grocer. This corner shop, at 104 Clifton Road, was run by Miss Agnes M. Black and Miss Margaret Black between 1902 and 1940. Their home was at 1 Leslie Road. The windows contain adverts for Rowntrees Chocolates and Fry's Pure Cocoa.
Durris House, Deeside
Durris House, Deeside
Tullich Lodge, Ballater
Tullich Lodge, Ballater
Union Street looking west from Union Bridge
Union Street looking west from Union Bridge, showing the Palace Hotel on the left. The hotel was built in 1874 for Messrs Pratt and Keith, milliners, who occupied the street level area. It operated as one of a chain of LNER hotels. Its upper stories were destroyed by fire on 31st October 1941, with loss of life, and the building was entirely demolished after the war and C and A was built on the site.
Rosemount Viaduct looking towards the Triple Kirks and the statue of William Wallace. The row of buses are probably waiting for a performance at His Majesty's Theatre to finish.
Cowdray Hall, 1927
Shrine, war memorial, Cowdray Hall, 1927. The War Memorial and the extension of the Art Gallery, including the Cowdray Hall and Museum, were opened by King George V and Queen Mary on 29th September 1925. These were erected at a cost of 80,000 pounds, with the cost of the War Memorial being raised by public subscription. The War Memorial is a cenotaph, in the form of a Memorial Court or Hall of Remembrance and is "consecrated to the memory of those 5000 of the city and district who gave their lives on land and sea 'that we might live'". The shrine is of white and grey marble in a niche in the north wall of the Memorial Court, directly opposite the entrance. It takes the form of a table on which is placed the Roll of Honour, printed on vellum, within glass. The table is supported by trusses decorated in Renaissance style. On either side are the Union Jack and White Ensign, representing Army and Navy, and in the centre is a laurel wreath in gilt bronze. Also in the picture can be seen the circular balcony or gallery, with a graceful balustrade, grey marble coping and ornate mouldings, which encircles the Court and leads to various picture galleries, one of which can be seen through the doorway