We use cookies to improve your experience, some are essential for the operation of this site.
Purchase Item

Woodside Primary School from Annals of Woodside and Newhills by Patrick Morgan (1886)

Historic Documents
Léa Moreau
This item is active and ready to use
Historic Documents Details
Morgan tells us that the first schools in Woodside were provided as the population of the village increased by Gordon, Barron & Co. They were a company of cotton spinners and manufacturers with a works at Woodside dating from around 1779.

The first large school was funded by public subscription and was opened in 1837 in the building now known as the Burgh Hall.

The school shown in the illustration on the left was opened in February 1875 and was known as the Board School. Presumably as it was run by the Old Machar Parish and School Board before being taken over by the Aberdeen Burgh School Board in 1894.

At the time Morgan was writing it was the second largest school in Scotland and had nearly 1400 pupils.

This building was altered in subsequent years and plans for a major reconstruction were begun in 1901. The architect was J. A. O. Allan of the Aberdeen School Board. The building warrant application and associated plans are available at Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, as are other historic records related to the school.

The proposed reconstruction is detailed in the Aberdeen Daily Journal of 6th August 1902. This enlarged building continues to function today as Woodside Primary School. The dates of 1890 and 1902 can be seen written in the building's stonework.

Boards containing the names of all the people to win the Sir John Anderson Dux Award can be found within the school's assembly hall. The nursery can be found in a separate building with its own garden.

When Sir John Anderson first gifted 9000 books to the people of Woodside they were kept at Woodside School until the purpose built library was opened on 15th October 1883.
Purchase Options